Pages

9.19.2011

Easy Conversation: Julia Vallelunga


Julia Vallelunga embodies the true spirit of a creative entrepreneur.  At  30 years old , this young  women is  not only one of Montreal top  bloggers with À la mode Montréal, but she’s also a talented jewelry maker and her latest collection of necklaces  for Anthropologie can only attest to that.
We had a chat with her and it went a little something like this.

Tell us a bit about yourself, who is Julia Vallelunga?
I’m a 30 years old jewellery designer / fashion blogger. I grow up in beautiful Montreal in an half Italian, half French-Canadian family. Beside designing jewelry, I love travelling and having my friends over for dinner.
 When did you start creating jewelry? When I was a kid, I used to create jewelry and expose it in my room but it was just for fun. I had no idea that I would become a jewelry designer! I started three years ago and I’ve been doing it full time for a year now.

Tell us about your creative process? Who / what inspires you?
I usually start sketching what I want my collection to look like. Then I start making the samples. At that point, my idea usually evolved and the entire collection starts making sense. My travels inspire me. I like looking at traditional costumes and old pictures.

Growing up what did you want to be / do?
I wanted to be a diplomat! I studied in Economics and Politics at l’Université de Montréal. I didn’t end up being a diplomat but I worked as a lobbyist in Brussels and worked closely with them. I also worked as a business adviser for start-ups. It’s with working with entrepreneur that I realized I was one.

Who are some of the artists who've influenced your work? Everytimes I looked at Frida Kahlo work, I get inspired. I love the mix of colors.

How did your collaboration with Anthropologie come about? Are you working on any other projects? I just sent them an email! I wasn’t really expecting an answer but I got an answer an 1 hour after I sent it. It was a great collaboration. I did 200 necklaces for them. I hope to have the chance to repeat the experience. I’m working on it!

 What's playing on your Ipod these days?
Devendra Banhart, love his song Shabop Shalom.


Julia Vallelunga elsewhere... 

Aucun commentaire: